Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Wed Oct 8 17:37:24 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 17:17 America/New_York, David Mertz,
Ph.D. wrote:

> |realized by CLOS and Dylan), and you also do not have the opportunity
> |to CALL-NEXT-METHOD within a method definition
>
> You mean something like
>
>     Listing 8. Programming with manual propagation
>     -----------------------------------------------------------------
>     def do_between(x, dispatch):
>         print "do some initial stuff"
>         val = dispatch.next_method() # return simple value of up-call
>         print "do some followup stuff"
>         return "My return value"
>     foo = Foo()
>     import multimethods
>     multi = multimethods.Dispatch()
>     multi.add_dispatchable((Foo,), do_between)
>     multi.with_dispatch(foo)
>     # Or: multi(foo, multi)
>
> (from the article)?

Yes.  I was just about to write back to you to to admit to that.  Yet
again, you do have to pass around the 'dispatch' object explicitly.

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti

--
Marco Antoniotti
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group		tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488