Why don't people like lisp?

David Steuber david.steuber at verizon.net
Thu Oct 23 11:05:26 EDT 2003

Jim Newton <jimka at rdrop.com> writes:

> Perhaps lisp is not so well-liked is because there are not enough
> standard libraries available.  Perl has the CPAN libraries that
> you can simply download and use.  I've heard the Python also
> has a huge number of such libraries.  But if i want a lisp-tk
> CLOS library, i'd have to write it myself, or lisp-DOM, or
> lisp-cvs, or lisp-mySQL.

The Debian distribution seems to have a lot of cl packages.  I am
quite sure that a mysql and postresql are among them.  If you are
running debian, do an apt-cache search.  Otherwise, go to
www.debian.org and search for packages there.

The Lisp community seems to be growing, not shrinking.  It may just
be my perception.  The packages are comming and so are the
repositories.

--
   One Emacs to rule them all.  One Emacs to find them,
   One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them,

All other programming languages wish they were Lisp.