Python and Memory

Ben Fairbank baf at texas.antispam.net
Thu Oct 2 00:59:15 EDT 2003

I have to pick a language to commit to for general purpose
scientific/statistical/utility/database programming at my office and
have pretty much narrowed it down to R or Python.  Problem:  none of
the various Python books I have looked into  has had much to say about
memory.  I will be operating on some big arrays, probably with Numpy;
if I run out of space and upgrade a Win 2000 or Win XP pro machine
from 256 Meg to 500Meg or even 1G will Python automatically recognize
and take advantage of the increase?  Where are questionss such as this
discussed in the documentation?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ben Fairbank