Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Thu Oct 23 11:50:46 EDT 2003

Matthias Blume wrote:
> Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:
>

>>Matthias Blume wrote:
>>

>>>PS: When I say "untyped" I mean it as in "the _untyped_ lambda
>>>calculus".
>>
>>What terms would you use to describe the difference between
>>dynamically and weakly typed languages, then?
>>

>>For example, Smalltalk is clearly "more" typed than C is. Describing
>>both as "untyped" seems a little bit unfair to me.
>

> Safe and unsafe.
>
> BTW, C is typed, Smalltalk is untyped.  C's type system just happens
> to be unsound (in the sense that, as you observed, well-typed programs
> can still be unsafe).

Can you give me a reference to a paper, or some other literature, that
defines the terminology that you use?

I have tried to find a consistent set of terms for this topic, and have
only found the paper "Type Systems" by Luca Cardelli
(http://www.luca.demon.co.uk/Bibliography.htm#Type systems )

He uses the terms of static vs. dynamic typing and strong vs. weak
typing, and these are described as orthogonal classifications. I find
this terminology very clear, consistent and useful. But I am open to a
different terminology.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza at web.de        Institute of Computer Science III