<> and DeprecationWarning

Wojtek Walczak gminick at hacker.pl
Tue Oct 21 02:01:19 EDT 2003

Dnia Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:44:17 -0400, Barry Warsaw napisał(a):
>> > the <> inequality test operator has been deprecated for a loooooong tim=
> e.
>> Who said that?
>
> Well, Guido doesn't like it, but Just does, so that cancels out the Van
> Rossum vote <wink>.  I'm on Just's side though, but this is about as
> religious an argument as Pythoneers get.  I'm confident there's no way
><> can be officially deprecated as long as Python 2.x is alive.

Is there any outline to mark it as deprecated in docs and the code
somewhere between 2.x and 3.0? I know that this is _distant future_,
but we can think about it and maybe vote. I'm on Guido's side not
because I don't like it, but because I think that Python doesn't need
two 'not equal' operators. It reminds me about ruby and its methods
for built-in classes which are doubled in some cases. This is nothing more
than a pollution.

--
[ Wojtek Walczak - gminick (at) underground.org.pl ]
[        <http://gminick.linuxsecurity.pl/>        ]