Jython, GILs and object locking.

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.invalid
Fri Oct 10 23:22:31 EDT 2003

Michael Chermside wrote:
> Jon Franz writes:
>> I see a big gaping hole in your list of reasons for needing threads.
>> Big, I/O bound network servers can benefit greatly from
>> threads on multiple CPUs.
>
> Um... I don't get it. If the speed of the application is
> limited by I/O operations, then how would it help to run on
> more CPUs? The speed is still limited by the I/O operations.

Because, while one processor is doing I/O, the other processor could
be preparing the next batch of I/O.  I'd guess Python handles this
particular situation OK, since as we all know, the low-level I/O is
done without the GIL.

--
CARL BANKS                   http://www.aerojockey.com/software

As the newest Lady Turnpot descended into the kitchen wrapped only in
her celery-green dressing gown, her creamy bosom rising and falling
like a temperamental souffle, her tart mouth pursed in distaste, the
sous-chef whispered to the scullery boy, "I don't know what to make of
her."
          --Laurel Fortuner, Montendre, France
            1992 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest Winner