Python finally succeeds in cross-platform areas where Java has been failing...

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Oct 26 09:12:25 EST 2003

How much of Python's cross-platform advantage over Java is due to the
single source of the Python interpreter and how much is due to the
language itself?

There's certainly nothing (that I'm aware of, other than time, money,
and skill) to stop me from writing my own Python interpreter, making
some subtle changes in behavior (either intentionally or by accident)
and promoting it in the field.  If I could convince enough people to
install it, we'd suddenly have a cross-platform crisis in the Python
world.

This is really all that's happened in the Java world.  The above
scenario describes what Microsoft did to Java. The only difference
between me doing my own Python and Microsoft doing their own Java is
that Microsoft has the resources and desire to pull it off.

What would happen if Microsoft saw Python as a threat and decided to
kill it by shipping their own incompatable Python interpreter with
Windows?  Would we have any defense?