[OT] Inuit? Eskimo?

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Wed Oct 22 04:24:06 EDT 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

>Anton Vredegoor wrote:
>
>> To my (eu-domain) eye the use of "American Indian" instead of "Indian
>> American" is strange.
>
>Do you mean American Indian and Indian-American meaning different things
>(they do; the former refers to Native Americans and the latter refers to
>naturalized Indians of Asian origin), or that American Indian (i.e.,
>Native Americans) should be better be referred to as Indian Americans
>(which it shouldn't, X-American means a naturalized person from X, like
>Japanese-American or Polish-American).

The problem with this naming scheme is that the natural way for an
Indian who was born in America to identify with the Indian cultural
heritage first and in second place with being an American, seems to be
taken by the denominination for *foreign* Indians.

Would you also rather say American Texan, because Texan American would
mean an American that is naturalized from the foreign country of
Texas?

Anton