Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Adrian Hey ahey at NoSpicedHam.iee.org
Fri Oct 24 11:25:17 EDT 2003

Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Ralph Becket wrote:
>> STATICALLY TYPED: the compiler carries out a proof that no value of the
>> wrong type will ever be passed to a function expecting a different type,
>> anywhere in the program.
>
> Big deal.

Yes it is a very big deal. I suspect from your choice of words
you have a closed mind on this issue, so there's no point in me
wasting my time trying to explain why.

<snip quote from someone who doesn't understand static typing at
all if the references to Java and C++ are anything to go by>

> Lights out for static typing.

That's complete bollocks. There are more than enough sufficiently
enlightened people to keep static typing alive and well, thank you
very much. If you chose to take advantage of it that's your loss.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey