Python and Memory

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Oct 2 08:10:18 EDT 2003

In article <3f7bad69.18663686 at news.houston.sbcglobal.net>,
Ben Fairbank <baf at texas.antispam.net> wrote:
>I have to pick a language to commit to for general purpose
>scientific/statistical/utility/database programming at my office and
>have pretty much narrowed it down to R or Python.  Problem:  none of
>the various Python books I have looked into  has had much to say about
>memory.  I will be operating on some big arrays, probably with Numpy;
>if I run out of space and upgrade a Win 2000 or Win XP pro machine
>from 256 Meg to 500Meg or even 1G will Python automatically recognize
>and take advantage of the increase?  Where are questionss such as this
>discussed in the documentation?
			.
			.
			.
Tough choice.  As your research apparently has already
disclosed, both R and Python are quite capable in the
role you're contemplating.  The differences between
them are likely to be the deep sort that are difficult
to determine beforehand.  Are you aware that, at least
within limits, you don't *have* to choose? <URL:
http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Python_R.html >?
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net