use make and version control system for every project?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Oct 6 15:52:18 EDT 2003

"John J. Lee" wrote:

> "Pettersen, Bjorn S" <BjornPettersen at fairisaac.com> writes:
>
> > > From: Max M [mailto:maxm at mxm.dk]
> [...]
> > For small projects on Windows, e.g. SourceSafe is so integrated that it
> > takes virtually no time, so I can't see any reason not to use it.
>
> I've read comments in several places that SourceSafe has data
> integrity problems, and that Microsoft itself doesn't use it
> internally (or at least, not for everything).  I have no personal
> experience of VSS.

I've made such comments myself (about the data integrity issue)
in the past.  This was based on experience with what must surely be
an older version of VSS (over two years ago).  We had at least two,
maybe three cases of serious corruption which we directly blamed
on VSS, and which pushed us to transition to CVS.  We have never
regretted that change for one millisecond.  (The archives would
no doubt give slightly additional details... my own memory is
pretty poor that far back.)

-Peter