Python 2.3.2 RPM's for Redhat 8.0 or Python source RPM and upgrade procedure?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Mon Oct 13 09:03:16 EDT 2003

Cliff Wells <clifford.wells at comcast.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.48.1066023139.2192.python-list at python.org>...

> And taking things to their logical conclusion is often a slippery slope
> of its own.  Programmers have a way of thinking that finds pure
> consistency more appealing than practical application.  While I don't
> entirely disagree you that there is a danger, I would suggest that when
> a commonly used package (such as Python) is so central to the operation
> of vendor supplied packages that upgrading it is nearly impossible, that
> the vendor should keep their own copy.

With "complete" Red Hat installations weighing in at 4GB, I think Red
Hat could easily slip their own installation of Python in there
without anyone noticing.

> Do perl, bash, et al fall into this category?  I don't know, but I've never
> had a problem upgrading them, while upgrading Python on Redhat is a royal
> pain.

I don't agree with this, but then by installing from the source
distribution into /usr/local and by changing my PATH, I'm effectively
maintaining Red Hat's private Python installation for them.

Paul