Tip: Windows internals using wmi

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 05:53:06 EDT 2003

"Colin Brown" <cbrown at metservice.com> wrote in message news:<3f7ccaee$1 at news.iconz.co.nz>...
> Recently I was looking for remote management tools and came across
> "Windows Management Instrumentation". There is a python interface
> available:
>
>  http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html
>
> I was amazed how easy it became to access just about anything under
> the hood (later versions of NT, 2000, XP) using a couple of lines of code!

Well it's always nice to know one's code is being
used - thank you for the free advertising! Just in
case it wasn't well-known, you can get WMI patches
for Win9x and NT4 (not 3.51, I think) which is
essential for those of us still running quite a number
of older machines.

I suspect you've already seen it, but the cookbook page
(http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi_cookbook.html)
is always happy to receive new examples of things you've
found useful. Just email me with your examples.

The business of remote administration can be quite
a pain. You need to go through the levels of WMI,
DCOM, NT/2K(3) and possibly AD security to get the
access you want. I'm trying to put together a useful
hints page - any experience you have (good or bad)
will be gratefully received.

TJG