Alternatives to WebUnit

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Oct 20 03:31:04 EDT 2003

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 01:16 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> In searching for tools to run automated regression tests against a Web
> aplication, I found (amid a number of tools requiring non-free Java)
> the
> WebUnit code:
>
>     <http://webunit.sourceforge.net/>

There's another bit of code going by the same name at
http://mechanicalcat.net/tech/webunit -- I haven't tried it, so I don't
know what it's like.  puffinhome.org is another Python web tester.  The
author was quite gung-ho at one time, but I haven't heard much from it
in a while.  It seems to be intended more for QA people, as opposed to
programmer-written tests.

> Unfortunately, the code is somewhat beta and doesn't seem to have been
> updated since 02-Feb-2002.  Does anyone know if this has been updated
> since, or merged into some other project?

Last time I looked at it, it didn't look like there was any movement,
and that was quite a bit more than a year ago.  What I remember that
webunit implementing -- mostly just httpsession -- is better
implemented elsewhere now (ClientCookie and ClientForm might be good
things to look at).