top-level loops

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Oct 8 18:22:35 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1065649095.3003.python-list at python.org>,
Michael Chermside  <mcherm at mcherm.com> wrote:
>Stefan writes:
>> I am writing a program (code included) and I would like to comment out
>> the two top-level loops and run the code that is under it regularly,
>> however, because the following code is not indented properly the
>> interpreter chokes. Is there a way around this?
>
>Well first of all, I prefer to use an editor which will allow me
>to indent or dedent entire blocks of code at a time. There are lots
>of others, but Idle (which almost certainly came with your copy of
>Python) is one... select the block then use tab or shift-tab.
>
>Also, in your case there's another quick work-around:
>

>    #for i in range(0,3):
>    #    for j in range(0,3):
>    for i in range(0,1):
>        for j in range(0,1):
>
>        ... rest of program goes here...
>

>Notice how I left in the for loops, but made sure that each
>occurred only once.
>
>-- Michael Chermside

Are you the kind of fellow who writes a lot of
  if 1 or complicated_function():
    other_stuff();
too, to the same end?  I know *I* am ...

Stefan, if this really is a problem for you, it
suggests to me that it might be time for you to
define the body of the loop as an explicit
function, which you unit-test separately.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net