Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Matthias no at spam.pls
Wed Oct 8 05:00:42 EDT 2003

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> writes:

> All Lisp code I've read uses lots of parentheses
> and they pile up at the end of each large subexpression so it's hard to
> match them (an editor is not enough, it won't follow my eyes and won't
> work with printed code).

The paranthesis argument.  Are there really no new things under the sun? ;-)

Well, in Lisp as in most other languages (esp. Python) you read source
code by indentation, not by matching parentheses.  That is why some
Lispers are a bit intolerant against non-standard indentation.  They
use it (mentally) to parse the language.  The parenthesis really are a
personal-taste-only issue.