Modules vs name spaces (Was: Global namespace)

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Wed Oct 29 15:13:15 EST 2003

+ j-anthony at rcn.com (Jon S. Anthony):

| There's a difference between modules and name spaces, though modules
| in many languages also serve as name spaces.

I have heard this one before, but have never quite understood the
difference.  I am quite familiar with Lisp's packages and python's
modules, and sure enough they are quite different, but I lack a clear
conceptual distinction between modules and name spaces.  (I think it
was even mentioned during an earlier discussion on c.l.lisp that it
may be useful to have both available in the same language.)

So, can anyone either explain the difference, or point to a resource
(preferably on the web) that explains it?

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow