Windows install/uninstall behavior [Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.2 (final)]

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 16:35:17 EDT 2003

[Tim]
> The Python uninstaller is very good about removing only the stuff it
> installed, and leaves other packages alone.

[Michael Geary]
> Hmm... The Python 2.3 uninstaller doesn't seem to behave that way. It
> removed my *entire* Python23 directory including all packages
> installed in that directory.

Not in my experience.  Heck, I uninstalled Python 2.3.1 on Windows today in
order to install 2.3.2 over it.  All external packages survived intact (and
are working fine after the core Python upgrade).  This includes packages
installed under Lib\site-packages\, additional .lib files under libs\, and
additional header files installed by ZODB under include\ZODB3\.  I'm talking
about the PythonLabs installer, btw, based on Wise.  Maybe you're using some
other installer?  Or maybe you have to buy a secret registry key from Thomas
Heller <wink>.