Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Thu Oct 9 20:37:56 EDT 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Pascal Costanza:
>
>>Yes, scripting languages have caught up in this regard. (However, note
>>that Common Lisp also includes a full compiler at runtime.)
>

> However, that's an implementation difference -- the only thing
> users should see is that the code runs faster.  It doesn't otherwise
> provide new functionality.

No, not quite. You can actually control whether you want a piece of
dynamically generated code interpreted or compiled. If such generated
code isn't run too often (for example only once) then the overhead of
compiling it most probably doesn't pay off but rather can be higher than
when the code is just interpreted.

Furthermore note that this is not an implementation difference. The ANSI
standard defines the function COMPILE.

>>Pick your choice. "There is not only one way to do it." (tm)
>

> Perl beat you to it -- "TMTOWTDO" (There's more than one way to
> do it.).   ;)
>
> Python's reply "There should be one-- and preferably only one --
> obvious way to do it."

I simply don't believe that this will work out in the long run. Not in a
truly general-purpose language.

Pascal