Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

ketil+news at ii.uib.no ketil+news at ii.uib.no
Fri Oct 24 16:50:48 EDT 2003

Adrian Hey <ahey at NoSpicedHam.iee.org> writes:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>> Ralph Becket wrote:

>>> STATICALLY TYPED: the compiler carries out a proof that no value of the
>>> wrong type will ever be passed to a function expecting a different type,
>>> anywhere in the program.

>> Big deal.

> Yes it is a very big deal.

While Mr. Martin probably should get out more, I must admit that I
have a nagging feeling about typing and object orientation.  Somebody
else correlated typing with imperativity, and I suspect dynamic typing
is a better match for OO than static typing.  But I'm probably making
the common error of comparing with the rather pedestrian type systems
of C++ and Java, perhaps O'Haskell and OCaml have systems that work
better?

-kzm