img2pytk.py ; any users out there ?

Gary Duncan gmduncan at netspace.net.au
Sun Oct 26 04:40:24 EST 2003

<ASIDE>

[Messrs Martelli and Mertz can skip this ]

I've been away from this group for a while and have now on return,
noticed "the old order changeth, giving away to the newbies" ;)

(It's almost an embarassment to actually discuss a real-live working
bit of Python, instead of referring to theoretical issues concerning
Haskells/monads/gonads - whatever they are  )

</ASIDE>

I've found this little utility quite handy for generating .py files
for displaying images ; the image strings can also be cut out
and transplanted elsewhere. (Google for Tkinter, PhotoImage if curious)

The original had a serious/fatal performance problem concerning big
images which I've fixed (string concatenation issue; ''.join() needed
:). Also
the image wasn't shrunk to fit on the window; this has been fixed.

In fairness, I think the original program was conceived to handle
itsy-bitsy images of say about 100pix square, so I don't want to
appear critical of the author.

So the question is ;

	is this utility used much ? If so I'd distribute the 'fixed' version,
otherwise keep it for my own private use .

- Gary