Webware vs. PHP - performance comparision!!!

JZ programisci_listy at murator.com.pl
Mon Oct 6 06:55:30 EDT 2003

Hello Ian,

Monday, October 6, 2003, 10:39:19 AM, you wrote:

> I don't think this testing code is reliable.  When I use ab
> (ApacheBench, comes with the Apache distribution)

Hmm, I am trying to solve problem with my Webware application. It's
behavior is strange. It works quite good.... but sometime it hangs for
several seconds and I do not why. I changed max. nr of concurent
servlets from 20 to 100 but it did not helped? :( I am finding
solution so I check the problem from different points of view.

> I get something like 130 requests/sec for the Python servlet, and
> 250 requests/sec for the PHP script (though without MMCache).

But PHP is still faster, isn't it? MMCache can speed up PHP to 10x.
But the real problem is as I wrote abowe. My Webware&Cheetah
application hangs for several seconds. It appears from time to time.
It is confusing.

> To do the tests I run "ab -n 1000 http://localhost/whatever"

Where can I find binary version?

> To test *Python's* speed vs. PHP, you'd have to use mod_python -- it's
> the only Python *environment* that is equivalent to PHP (well, PHP as
> CGI is like Python as CGI, but that's not a realistic test

I am using mod_webkit.dll which is even faster than mod_python
acordint to manual:
http://webware.sourceforge.net/Webware-0.8.1/WebKit/Docs/InstallGuide.html#mod-python

> But I'm confident that Python would do quite well in that test for
> any non-trivial application.

I wish to say it.

--
JZ ICQ:6712522