use make and version control system for every project?

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Mon Oct 6 04:44:56 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 17:43, David Mertz wrote:
> YMMV, of course.  And I certainly think something larger and/or more
> corporate should use version control.  But I'm with Carl in not really
> getting it for small semi-personal projects.

I would have said so too, but 6 months ago I had occasion to work
jointly on some Python code (about 6000 lines worth) with a programmer
working under contract to my employer. He was located in Melbourne
(Australia), I was (at the time) in Manila (Philippines). Code was
stored on a CVS server in Melbourne, which I accessed via a dial-up
Internet connection from my ancient Linux laptop. I was doubtful at
first, but the whole thing worked a treat over a three week period. At
times both of us were working on the different parts of the same Python
module (i.e the same file), and to my amazement CVS merged the changes
made by both of us with very few conflicts and little need for revision
of the merged code.

The biggest source of difficulty was my (continuing) insistence on using
tab characters for Python indenting, whereas my co-programmer preferred
his tab key to introduce a string of 4 spaces...

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0