Newbie needs to see a large project

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Tue Oct 7 15:06:15 EDT 2003

In article <3F82F132.9080203 at nohowe.net>,
Nowan <nowan.noware at nohowe.net> wrote:
>In a database-backed web site, the database is definitely not the
>bottleneck if you are using Oracle or another enterprise class product.
>    Unless your database design is very complex, it is the
>performance/design of your web/middleware.
>
>I'm building my little demo app.  I'm loving Python.  Python rocks.  Way
>cooler than Perl.  Way cooler than PHP.  But the question looms ahead...
>When I get finished, will it be fast enough to be a practical
>alternative to ASP or JSP/Servlets?
>
>Will I have to rewrite all the hard stuff in C?
>
>Any performance thoughts at all are appreciated.  Especially from anyone
>who has deployed a significant database driven web app.

   Sorry, not me, but I don't see why the database won't be
the bottleneck since
 - you get as much processing as you can done in your select
   queries
 - if select queries are not enough, you can code special
   procedures within the database server
 - you can load the database server up with all the work of
   transaction integrity.

   Then the Python CGI programs just pipeline data and
format strings on the way by.  And I don't see that
VBAScript for ASP is any speed demon, either.

        Regards.        Mel.