Static typing

Dirk Thierbach dthierbach at gmx.de
Fri Oct 24 12:40:11 EDT 2003

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> wrote:
> Dirk Thierbach wrote:

> Of course there is more than one way to do anything. You can do
> everything in assembler. The important point is: what are the convenient
> ways to do these things? (And convenience is a subjective matter.)

Yes. The point is: It may be as convenient to do in one language as in
the other language. You just need a different approach.

> No, you definitely can do a lot of things with macros in Lisp that are
> impossible to do in other languages.

We just had this discussion here, and I am not going to repeat it.
I know Paul Graham's website, and I know many examples of what you
can do with macros. Macros are a wonderful tool, but you really can
get most of what you can do with macros by using HOFs. There are
some things that won't work, the most important of which is that
you cannot force calculation at compile time, and you have to hope
that the compiler does it for you (ghc actually does it sometimes.)

- Dirk