RELEASED Python 2.3.2 (final)

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 09:43:09 EDT 2003

[Michael Geary]
> There's a question I don't see answered in the release notes: On
> Windows, what's the recommended procedure for upgrading from 2.3 or
> 2.3.1 to 2.3.2? Should I uninstall the old version first, or just
> install the new one right on top of it?

For a micro release (bumping the k in Python i.j.k), I recommend
uninstalling i.j.k before installing i.j.(k+1), but that's all.  It's not
just Python you have to be concerned about, as the Windows installer also
includes several external packages (like Berkeley bsddb and Tcl/Tk), and
bugfixes included in those may require (for example) deleting obsolete
files.  The Python Installer Development Department isn't me anymore, but it
still consists of one frazzled guy with just enough time to test a clean
install.  Get creative and you're on your own.

> What about other packages like win32all and ctypes? Uninstall them and
> reinstall after upgrading Python, or leave them alone?

For a micro release, leave them alone.  The Python uninstaller is very good
about removing only the stuff it installed, and leaves other packages alone.
It's a rigid rule of micro releases belonging to the same minor release that
they're 100% binary compatible, so if any other package breaks due to a
micro Python upgrade, that's a bug in the package that broke.  I haven't
seen that happen yet.