Python vs Visual Basic

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Oct 13 11:10:44 EDT 2003

"Orange Free" <orangefree89 at yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:slrnbol8np.hst.orangefree89 at localhost.localdomain...
> I want to create a program that will ask a user a series of
questions
> and then generate a Microsoft Word document whose content is
dictated
> by the answers.  I am not a professional programmer, and I
understand
> only a little about OO programming.  Should I
>
> a) stick to -- *gasp* -- Visual Basic to accomplish my goal;
>
> b) use Python, with which I am somewhat familiar, and which I would
> prefer to use; or
>
> c) find another hobby because I am only going to end up hurting
> myself?
>
> I am aware of the COM tools within Python, but I have not been able
> find documentation that makes much sense.  Any pointers to good,
> basic-level documentation would be much appreciated.

Mark Hammond, who wrote the Windows extensions that include the COM
tools, also wrote Python Programming on Win 32.  Oreilly's page
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/
has a link to the following sample chapter
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/chapter/ch12.html
Chapter 12 Advanced Python and COM.

Several c.l.py posts have given other examples of COM programming.

TJR