Iterative numerical optimizaiton routines?

Robert Kern kern at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 29 16:52:42 EST 2003

In article <bnoi68$men$1 at newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se> you wrote:

> "Robert Kern" <kern at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message
> news:bnmjco$ok5$1 at naig.caltech.edu...
>
>> I think his point was that SciPy does indeed run on Python 2.3, as I can
>> happily confirm.
>
> Do Tell - How did you get it to install? On my distribution known as:
>
> "Python 2.3 (#46, Jul 29 2003, 18:54:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
> win32" the installer refuses to run,  rudely demanding Python 2.2.

Ah, Windows binaries are another matter. The ones provided at scipy.org do
indeed only go up to 2.2. I've only built SciPy on UN*X-type OSs.

> PS: I am disinclined to build from source on Windows because I have *enough*
> company-mandated crud on my win32 box already - Linux would of course be a
> different thing; but I haven't got a Linux box at the moment.

Your best bet then is to download the Python 2.3 Enthought Edition and rip out
the parts you don't need. Or wait until 0.20 release of SciPy when I'm sure they
will make 2.3 binaries. Or you could ask them if they have prerelease 2.3
binaries (well, they obviously do for the Enthought Edition) ready to package up
and put on the downloads page.

--
Robert Kern
kern at ugcs.caltech.edu

"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
                     -- Richard Harter