Python/Wx dot net

HankC hankc at nospam.com
Sun Oct 5 19:46:50 EDT 2003

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 09:39:02 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
wrote:

>Here's the question I would ask: what's the future of dot net?

Well, this is the question, isn't it.  IMO, I think programming in
XXX.NET will be the *norm* (for Windows programming) within 1-2 years.
Look at the development tools MS is putting out.  Look at the focus of
Borland now.  When a 64bit version of Windows is available it will be
even more popular.

I think it's conceivable that MS will disallow native code at some
point.  When, I don't know but I'd guess in 3-5 years.

>Python has outlasted at least two major new Microsoft initiatives,
>I believe, and seems likely to outlive .NET as well.

I agree.

>I hvae more faith in the Python community to provide useful,
>cross-platform, robust, and fun environments than I do in Microsoft
>to do provide any single one of those.

I agree.

>My suggestion: learn to use Python well.  Use it to solve problems.
>If at some point it supports .NET, you'll be well positioned to
>write to that API, but you'll also still be able to write good
>programs long after .NET is yet another footnote in history.

My feeling is that if Python doesn't support .net, and if non-.net
apps won't run under windows at some point, I'll be looking for
another language.  If a Python/Wx solution will work indefinately I'd
be a lot happier.

Thanks for your comments!