Why don't people like lisp?

Raymond Wiker Raymond.Wiker at fast.no
Fri Oct 24 05:35:34 EDT 2003

Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn.pettersen at comcast.net> writes:

>>         Note that reference-counting has problems with cyclic
>> references; probably not something that will bite you in the case of
>> open files, but definitely a problem you need to be aware of.
>
> (a) true (by definition of cycle/ref.counting?)
> (b) no relevance to CPython (which uses a generational collector
>     to reclaim reference cycles [with the regular finalizer problems]).

        I didn't know that (obviously :-)

> (c) why are open file objects special (are you saying objects with no
>     internal references are less likely to be reachable from a cycle,
>     or that there is something intrinsically special about (open?) files)?

        I cannot think of any scenarios where open files would be
involved in a cycle, that's all. That doesn't mean that it's impossible.

Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  Raymond.Wiker at fast.no
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/
Fast Search & Transfer ASA           Phone: +47 23 01 11 60
P.O. Box 1677 Vika                   Fax:   +47 35 54 87 99
NO-0120 Oslo, NORWAY                 Mob:   +47 48 01 11 60

Try FAST Search: http://alltheweb.com/