Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Toni Nikkanen toni at tuug.fi
Fri Oct 3 07:44:36 EDT 2003

kalath at lycos.com (Mark Brady) writes:

> just me, I prefer S-exps and there seems to be a rebirth in the Scheme
> and Common Lisp communities at the moment. Ironically this seems to
> have been helped by python. I learned python then got interested in
> it's functional side and ended up learning Scheme and Common Lisp.

It's be interesting to know where people got the idea of learning
Scheme/LISP from (apart from compulsory university courses)? I think
that for me, it was the LPC language used in LPmuds. It had a
frightening feature called lambda closures, and useful functions such
as map and filter. Then one day I just decided to bite the bullet and
find out where the heck all that stuff came from (my background was
strongly in C-like languages at that point. LPC is like C with some
object-oriented and some FP features.)

Yes, I know, there's nothing frightening in lambda closures. But the
way they were implemented in LPC (actually just the syntax) was
terrible :)