Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Dirk Thierbach dthierbach at gmx.de
Fri Oct 24 07:31:18 EDT 2003

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> wrote:
> No, other people are claiming that one should _always_ use static type
> sytems, and my claim is that there are situations in which a dynamic
> type system is better.
>
> If you claim that something (anything) is _always_ better, you better
> have a convincing argument that _always_ holds.
>
> I have never claimed that dynamic type systems are _always_ better.

To me, it certainly looked like you did in the beginning. Maybe your
impression that other people say that one should always use static
type systems is a similar misinterpretation?

Anyway, formulations like "A has less expressive power than B" aresvery
close to "B is always better than A". It's probably a good idea to
avoid such formulations if this is not what you mean.

- Dirk