Jython, GILs and object locking.

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Oct 15 15:51:27 EDT 2003

In article <9fc58c06.0310101009.5c483da8 at posting.google.com>,
Luis P Caamano <lcaamano at mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have no problem with the statement that removing the GIL is hard
>and we don't have the resources to do that now.  I understand that.
>The statement I don't like is when people say that "the GIL is not a
>problem at all and therefore, it doesn't need fixing."

It's more, "Yes, there are problems with the GIL, but there are also
problems with free-threading given Python's memory architecture (*ALL*
objects are global), plus free-threading the core conflicts with the
design goal of easily integrating external libraries (many of which are
not free-threaded).  Add in the difficulty of removing the GIL, and it
doesn't seem worth it."

Now, can you explain why you haven't heard that message before?  I've
certainly said it before, and within the last two months, to boot.

--Bill Harlan