Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Fri Oct 24 06:44:09 EDT 2003

Ralph Becket wrote:
> STATICALLY TYPED: the compiler carries out a proof that no value of the
> wrong type will ever be passed to a function expecting a different type,
> anywhere in the program.

Big deal. From Robert C. Martin:

"I've been a statically typed bigot for quite a few years....I scoffed
at the smalltalkers who whined about the loss of flexibility. Safety,
after all, was far more important than flexibility -- and besides, we
can keep our software flexible AND statically typed, if we just follow
good dependency management principles.

"Four years ago I got involved with Extreme Programming. ...

"About two years ago I noticed something. I was depending less and less
on the type system for safety. My unit tests were preventing me from
making type errors. The more I depended upon the unit tests, the less I
depended upon the type safety of Java or C++ (my languages of choice).

"I thought an experiment was in order. So I tried writing some
applications in Python, and then Ruby (well known dynamically typed
languages). I was not entirely surprised when I found that type issues
simply never arose. My unit tests kept my code on the straight and
narrow. I simply didn't need the static type checking that I had
depended upon for so many years.

"I also realized that the flexibility of dynamically typed langauges
makes writing code significantly easier. Modules are easier to write,
and easier to change. There are no build time issues at all. Life in a
dynamically typed world is fundamentally simpler.

"Now I am back programming in Java because the projects I'm working on
call for it. But I can't deny that I feel the tug of the dynamically
typed languages. I wish I was programming in Ruby or Python, or even
Smalltalk.

"Does anybody else feel like this? As more and more people adopt test
driven development (something I consider to be inevitable) will they
feel the same way I do. Will we all be programming in a dynamically
typed language in 2010? "

Lights out for static typing.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my: