2.3 on Debian Woody: doable?

Jules Dubois bogus at invalid.tld
Sat Oct 25 17:51:58 EDT 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:18:26 +0200, in article
<0r4lpvos52hovek30hola8i184vmnagvqh at 4ax.com>, Rene Pijlman wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be an apt package for Python 2.3 on Debian Woody.

Version 2.3.2 is in Sarge.

I'm running Libranet 2.8, a mixture of (at least) testing and some Libranet
mods.  In many cases, it's possible to run both stable and testing
together... and unstable if you're braver than me.  I've never had a
problem (Potato+Woody and now Woody+Sarge+Libranet), but this article
comes, as Microsoft disclaims, AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS.

> Should I expect unusual difficulties or unsolvable problems when building
> and installing 2.3 on Woody from the source distribution of Python?

Someone with actual experience might answer this.  The only problem I've
*ever* had with source packages on Debian was yesterday with lm-sensors and
i2c.

> E.g. things like dependencies on other libraries that are not available on
> Woody?

That seems unlikely, although it's possible.  If you build your own
packages and link them against existing libraries, it's likely to work.
(Perhaps, though you really will need some additional libraries.)

I don't know how to get a pastable text listing of the dependencies for the
binary package or I'd post them here.