Why don't people like lisp?

Adam Warner usenet at consulting.net.nz
Sat Oct 18 19:00:36 EDT 2003

Hi Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters,

> Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote previously: |People don't like
> Lisp because of misconceptions, and threads like that |help dispel
> those.
>
> In my own mind, the biggest impediment to really liking Lisp is not the
> annoying parentheses and awful syntax... it's many Lispers (especially
> those like Tilton).

Sure David. Please don't make this personal as some may be less gracious
in overlooking your failings to even post correctly indented
Python-the-language code when arguing against Lisp and its syntax:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1065550637.20363.python-list%40python.org>

Can't even insert four spaces without destroying the semantics of your
code three times in a row? I note you didn't later acknowledge the three
flaws, which indicates that you still couldn't see them when reviewing
your code:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1065555441.8896.python-list%40python.org>

You may have more numerous libraries and a larger set of groupies but you
will never have the satisfaction of using a superior language. Please let
me know if this response makes me a shining example of a "truly vindictive
and nasty" Lisp user. Posters to comp.lang.lisp are extremely likely to
receive polite and extraordinary help. For a long time all newbies to
comp.lang.lisp could expect to be humiliated. That time has passed.

Regards,
Adam