Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of 8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok??

John Baxter news.collectivize at scandaroon.com
Thu Oct 23 14:25:18 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.50.1066927617.702.python-list at python.org>,
 Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:

> Okay, okay, let's just compromise somewhere in between: 5 character
> indents.

No, we should insist on 8-character tabs.  They were inherited into Unix
from Teletype machines with fixed 8 column tabs...how DARE we second
guess Teletype Corporation?

Seriously, I'm happy with four space indents (I usually use 2 in the
interpreter window).  And happy with editors which "see" a tab key and
understand "next four postion using spaces" and which indent
automatically anyhow.

  --John (who only goes back as far as the Model 18)

--
Email to above address discarded by provider's server.  Don't bother sending.