COM - Excel: What happens if users closes workbook externally?

Marc mnations at airmail.net
Fri Oct 10 19:28:39 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have a problem with managing the interchange between COM/Excel and
Python if the user closes the workbook externally.

Everything works fine as long as the user only uses the exit keys I've
provided to close the Excel apps and COM interfaces. But I really need
the ability to manage the workbook if someone closes it using the
'exit' command or the right/upper 'x' from within the excel
spreadsheet.

When that happens, the workbook is lost, but the interface between
python and the COM server stays open. So when I go back later and try
to update the sheet, of course it's not there. But I don't know how to
monitor the status of the workbook to see if I need to create another
one or use the initial one.

I've tried different ways of checking to see if the workbook is still
active, but nothing has worked. Is there anyway to bind the 'exit' and
'x' from the excel spreadsheet to functions within my python script so
that I'll know when the workbook is closed? Or is there a better way
to handle this scenario. Unfortunately, simply telling them not to do
it that way is not an option.

Thanks ahead of time,
Marc