Why don't people like lisp?

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 24 14:22:58 EDT 2003

Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn.pettersen at comcast.net> writes:

> Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker at fast.no> wrote:
>
> > "Rainer Deyke" <rainerd at eldwood.com> writes:
> >
> > > Personally I'd prefer guaranteed immediate destructors over
> > > with-open-file. More flexibility, less syntax, and it matches what
> > > the CPython implementation already does.
> >
> >         Right... all along until CPython introduces a more elaborate
> > gc scheme.
>
> ... which is highly unlikely to happen without preservation of reference
> counting semantics for files... google if you're _really_ interested :-/

I hope you put assertion in your code so that it won't run under
Jython, because that's the kind of insidious bug that would be
*aweful* to find the hard way.

(I really don't understand why you wouldn't just want at least real
closures, so you can just use call_with_open_file, and not have to
worry about what GC you're using when *opening* *files*)

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |