Nuclear Python?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Oct 7 20:08:54 EDT 2003

pythonguy at Hotpop.com (Anand Pillai) writes:

> I just heard from a friend that the Indian Dept of Atomic Energy
> uses python in its nuclear simulation engine, run on Param Super
> computers.
>
> Dont know this for sure, but it amazes me as to the capabilities
> of Python!

Python's actually used quite a bit in scientific computations.  That's
where I first used it, actually.  Of course, performance critical
stuff is in Fortran or C, and lots of libraries in those languages get
used.

David Beazley of SWIG fame started the SWIG project to use Python to
drive big molecular dynamics simulations and analyse the resulting
data (the latter sometimes involves big computational resources in
itself).

Mind you, if you've ever attempted to read some of the huge Fortran
codes that get written by scientists, you'll understand why it might
not always be a good idea to touch them in order to make them easily
wrap-able!-)

John