Python/Wx dot net

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Oct 7 19:35:46 EDT 2003

"Carl Waldbieser" <waldbie at attglobal.net> writes:

> "John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote in message
> news:877k3hq926.fsf at pobox.com...
> > Ah.  I had assumed managed C++ was enough like C++ to make porting C
> > and C++ easy.  Is that wrong?  I guess the problem is memory
> > management? -- pretty fundamental to C.
> >
> Managed C++ constrains you to what the framework allows, so currently, that
> means no templates, no multiple inheritence (this one affects Python as a
[...]

So would CPython compile as a managed app, with a bit of work?

(yes, I realise that's not the same as having Python as a first-class
.NET citizen)

[...]
> restrictions.  I can recommend ".NET Architecture and Programming Using
> Visual C++" by Peter Thorsteinson and Robert J. Oberg as a good book on the
[...]

Thanks, but no thanks!-)  I only had just enough passing interest to
wonder if CPython could be compiled with Managed C++.

> > > When I hear about things like COBOL.NET or Eiffel.NET or Smalltalk.NET, I
> > > have often stopped to wonder, how the heck could that really be like the
> > > original language?  The .NET infrastructure does cover a wide array of
> > > features from various programming languages, but not nearly every
> > > interesting feature from every programming language that has had its time in
> > > the sun.
> >
> > This is interesting.  Do you have any references / links on this (I
> > mean specifically on this -- I don't want to read a pile of general
> > stuff about the CLR)?
> >
> Err, I'm not exactly sure if you mean links about various .NETified
> programming languages or something else.  I think this link is where I first
> read about Eiffel for .NET:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
> ml/pdc_eiffel.asp

I'm not interested in particular languages in themselves (it's easy
enough to find the .NET implementations).  I was interested in any
discussion of the general issue of how well .NET supports unusual
language features (or even just slightly nonstandard ones).

John