Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 11 01:04:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:01:37PM +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> I find the Lisp syntax hardly readable when everything looks alike,
> mostly words and parentheses, and when every level of nesting requires
> parens. I understand that it's easier to work with by macros, but it's
> harder to work with by humans like I.

I find the ML/Haskell/infix syntax hardly readable when everything is
visually ambiguous, mostly a jumble of non-alphanumeric characters, and
it is difficult to determine where nesting occurs without looking it up
in a reference.  I understand that this gives the code the dubious
distinction of looking a little bit like math notation, perverted into
ASCII, but it's harder to work with by Lisp programmers like myself.

P.S. I've written my fair share of SML, I'd like to think, and while it
could be quite infuriating I did appreciate pattern matching and
currying.  Of course, both of these can be done in CL, and more flexibly
too.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.