Python/Wx dot net

Carl Waldbieser waldbie at attglobal.net
Mon Oct 6 03:45:17 EDT 2003

To me, it seems like it would be a very extreme position for Microsoft to
disallow native code on their future operating systems.  I find myself
asking, "what would be the point?"  If someone wanted to write a program
that they couldn't write using managed code, they couldn't use Windows.  Why
would you want to shut out a potential customer?  Also, not all the tools
Microsoft is putting out focus entirely on managed code.  The Visual C++
tools seem (at least to me) to have been designed with an emphasis on
integrating native and managed code for mixed projects.

I am not worried if there is not a version of python that runs under .NET,
as long as there is some version of Python I can use on Windows.  It seems
to me that when a need exists for different tools to communicate with each
other, someone usually comes up with a way so they can.  Mark Hammond's
excellent COM extensions for Python didn't attempt to re-write Python as a
complete set of COM components-- instead, it provided a simple way for
Python to interact with COM components and visa versa.

Techniques already exist for Python and .NET apps to talk to each other.
I'm sure as the technology matures, better and simpler techniques will
emerge.

Carl Waldbieser