Newbie question, Does variable need instance after its class modification?

Lee Harr missive at frontiernet.net
Mon Oct 27 16:06:06 EST 2003

On 2003-10-27, chenyu <chenyu468 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am newbie to python programming, then read other's code and try to
> modify for study. My question is as follows:
> 1. class name is "class1", it has one method "method1" and the class
> is in the file "class1.py".
> 2. In the "pythonwin interactive window":
>   2.1  c1 = class1()
>   2.2  cl.method1()

The class instance is called c1, not cl.  Try:

c1.method1()

Or, try renaming class1 so it does not have the 1 which is
so easily confused with the l.

> 3. Because I found there is problem in the method1(), therefore I
> modify it by adding "print" statement for debugging in the file
> "class1.py"
> 4. In the "pythonwin interactive window",
>   4.1 c1.method1()
>    special ERROR message is given.

Which error might that be?

> 5. In the "pythonwin interactive window",
>   5.1  c1 = class1()
>   5.2  cl.method1()
>   The error message disappear, and my debugging information is given.

Just changing your code in class1.py will not affect any
objects already created.

> Does it mean that if I modify one file, any variable which instanced
> object from the file is useless and should be instanced again. Is it
> right?

You may need to reload() your module to see the changes.

You also should paste a copy of your code and the interactive session
in to your message. What you gave us here is quite confusing.