[Howto] Compiling debug Python extensions for non-debug Python

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 12 16:34:54 EDT 2003

Edward C. Jones:

> I have had the same problem in Linux. In the old DOS Borland Debugger, I
> could tell the debugger to display a particular source code file. Then I
> could set a breakpoint in it. Is this possible in gdb or some other UNIX
> debugger? Has anyone ported the Borland Debugger to Linux?

   Many of them do although it can be less than obvious how to do it.
KDevelop can do this although IIRC you first need to set up a dummy project
before being able to run an arbitrary executable. I have had problems with
Linux debuggers using inaccurate line number information although some of
this had been caused by using files from Windows with their \r\n line
endings. My current favourite Linux debugger is KDbg as it isn't an IDE and
so doesn't try to make you create project files.

   Neil