Jython, GILs and object locking.

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Thu Oct 16 14:53:34 EDT 2003

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> However, I don't understand what problems jython "already has" in
> relation to removal of the GIL: jython doesn't have a GIL.

I was referring to the removal of reference counting, not removal of the
GIL. Removing reference counting will change code that relies on the
fact that the __del__ methods is called when the object falls out of
scope. Instead, __del__ is called when the object is reclaimed by the
garbage collector (although not in the current Python implementation, if
I remember right).

So removing reference counting changes the meaning of existing Python
programs (CPython). If you're running you're programs under Jython, then
  you have already this behaviour. This is what I meant by "Jython has
already these problems".

Daniel