Building Python 2.3 on HP-UX 10.20 - pthread failure

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 17:44:05 EDT 2003

[Dan Cescato]
> Actually, what sets PY_PTHREAD_D4 is a combination of the existence of
> __hpux and _DECTHREADS_ (defined in cma.h).  Based on what I see in
> the PEP doc, I assume the code to support this is still in Python
> 2.3.1.  I was planning to comment out the #error that brings the show
> to a halt, and get on with life.  As far as volunteering, let me talk
> to the boss about this.  (BTW, the response I was really hoping for
> was "Just apply HP patch XXXX, and you'll be fine.  Oh well...)

Don't we wish.  Threading on HPUX has been a never-ending nightmare.  Each
release, some user submits a patch claiming to fix it, with the invariable
result that threading stops working for other HPUX users.  Then the dance
starts anew.  This has gone on for years.  Talk to Martin while he's still
listening, cuz the very old-time Python developers have learned to tune out
whenever hearing "threads" and "HPUX" within an hour of each other <0.6
wink>.