User comments on python.org

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 13 15:00:13 EDT 2003

    amk> 1) Fitting the comments into the page design -- a page with a lot
    amk>    of comments would be really, really lengthy.

I would prefer to see a little icon next to paragraphs with comments.  That
minimizes the change in length.  Click 'em to pop up a window (or something)
with the relevant comments.

    amk> 2) What if people post obscenities or harmful material?

    amk> The Wiki has mostly escaped such vandalism; presumably it's
    amk> unobtrusive enough that spammers haven't noticed it.

That and the fact that a few people subscribe to changes to most pages, or
at least to the RecentChanges page, so they are alerted quickly to changes.
Juergen, Guido and I have all reverted Wiki changes.  In my experience, most
changes are one of two types:

    * Someone tries to slip their website's URL into the Wiki in hopes it
      will score higher with more search engines as a result

    * Comments like, "Are you aware anyone can change this page?  Isn't that
      a bug?"

I'd be against anything which actually modified the content of a page as a
result of adding a comment, if for no other reason than it would have to
integrate with ht2html+CVS, at least for the forseeable future.

Skip