Python LaTeX codec?

netnews.upenn.edu p.magwene at snet.net
Tue Oct 14 13:18:21 EDT 2003

William Park wrote:
> In <comp.text.tex> David Eppstein <eppstein at ics.uci.edu> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have an implemented Python codec for converting between
>>unicode and LaTeX markup?  E.g. I'd like '?' to be converted to '{\"\i}'
>>and vice versa.  Preferably including at least the Latin Extended-A
>>characters as well as the basic Latin-1 Supplement.
>>
>>If not, anyone with experience writing Python codecs have any advice on
>>how to do this?
>

> For heaven's sake,
>     man tr
>     man sed
>     man awk
>     man bash

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>man tr
'man' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>man sed
'man' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>man awk
'man' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>man bash
'man' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

....and for good measure...

C:\>help sed
This command is not supported by the help utility.  Try "sed /?".

...ducking and running.....

Yes, I have cygwin on my windows boxes and I've got Linux/BSD boxen,
etc. but the sort of kneejerk reaction to use the standard unix command
line tools isn't very helpful.  What if the OP wanted to distribute his
program to users whom were unlikely to have access to such a tool chain?

Pointing out that there are some pre-existing tools can be useful, but
the "for heaven's sake" approach doesn't really help to address the
posters question about a _Python_ codec.... (one of the other responses
mentioning "recodec" does...)

--Paul