AI and cognitive psychology rant

Arthur ajs at optonline.net
Sun Oct 26 20:05:20 EST 2003

>From what I can see, the human >set of emotions are an integrated
>system 'designed' (in the >evolutionary sense) to achieve a >purpose.Being
intelligent does >not imply being paranoid, >jealous, etc etc.

I don't see paranoia so much as an emotion.  It is information processing
gone off track - with impact that includes an emotional component. But it is
the dysfunctional flipside to an important functional capacity - related to
our capacity to synthesize connections between events and phenonema, to be
predictive, and to take precaution. And there is no reason to believe that
the artificial tract will outdo the evolutionary tract, in disentangling
enabling and disabling capacities, which are inherently tangled - because,
in part, of  the necessity for acting on the basis of information known to
be imperfect.

And as we advance we only seem to learn more clearly how imperfect our
information necessarily is - without any relief from the need for acting
nonetheless. Which is why we may seem to seem only more comic/tragic as we
advance - which actually doesn't seem more advanced at all.

I find some solace  - from time to time - in illogic.

Art